Mrs. Wehrbein--Part III--Beauty in the Details



Welcome back, once again, to the Mrs. Wehrbein Wedding Series! It has been so fun to go back through all of the photos taken before and during our wedding--reliving the excitement, planning, preparation, and all of the careful thought that went in to each little detail. It was a dream! 

If you missed the first two parts you can find them here!



In order to make something special, you have to put thought into the details. That's just the truth. My whole life I've been surrounded by women (my mom, my grandma, my aunts, my sister) who have shown me the importance of the small details for making an event memorable and special. I knew going in to wedding planning that I wanted to constantly think of this. I wanted to infuse special details throughout the process of wedding planning to make every moment count. 


--Before the wedding--


My mother in law so graciously altered my dress for me--I loved that we were able to do the fittings in the house where my husband grew up. And sometimes he was even hiding upstairs. I brought this framed picture to one of my fittings that I received from my grandma. The pictures show the progression of a young girl's life starting with courting and finishing with her having a child. I love the second image of her choosing her wedding gown. When I was young, I'd look at this picture, so anxious for that day to come. I never wanted to forget that season of my life. 







Another detail we included was where we got ready the day of our wedding. We chose to do so at our childhood homes, rather than the church or in a hotel room. I wanted all of the photos that were taken as we got ready to have the backdrop of the places we love so much. My mom did such a great job of setting peonies in jars all over, and having eucalyptus garlands hanging over the stairs. I really love how all of these pictures are filled with glimpses of our childhood. 

--The Ceremony--
Plattsmouth Bible Church


My husband and I (well, mostly him!) cut a ton of logs and stumps to use for decorating the church and the reception. We used some of them for these bench areas at the front of the church. We put moss, hurricane vases sprayed with glittery gold paint, and vintage windows layered behind to add height and dimension to this area. 


The alter was covered with this eucalyptus garland from Hobby Lobby (we stockpiled every time it was 50% off). We also used the garland in many other places. Other details include:
-more stumps (which are currently our end tables! More on that later!)
-Lanterns full of twinkle lights and garland
-DIY stump candle holders
-and the banners in the background! These were a favorite of mine. I used yards and yards of tulle to create these. With a simple hem to create a pocket at the top, a dowel, and some eucalyptus, I created beautiful banners that pool down at the floor. They provide some much needed texture to the walls without looking too busy. Light and airy all the way! 





Flanking the front doors, we borrowed these barn door sets from a sweet lady at our church. We added a couple of crates, some lanterns (either thrifted or purchased at places like TJ Maxx), and of course peonies and garland! The perfect entry way!


One of my favorite details was my grandpa's antique John Deere tractor he brought over to sit outside of the church. My husband comes from a farming background and has a degree in agronomy, my family has a farming background as well. My family also has had these old tractors sitting out for meaningful events. I knew I had to include it! This picture of the two of us is The Farmer's favorite. 



A hand lettered sign for the entry way. I found this double sided sign at Hobby Lobby. 


And here's a full shot of the front of the church. 


I literally made our programs in Google drawings! I drew out a logo, took a picture of it, did some copying and pasting, and printed it on kraft paper. Our M + J theme was something we used throughout our wedding. This "logo" appeared on our invitations as well.  


After the ceremony we had a confetti toss as we left the church. Some of my favorite pictures ever! My mom drew these little branches, and I wrote M + J on each confetti packet. These tied in with our invitations, our programs, and our wedding favors that you'll see later!



The confetti I found on Amazon! It came with these beautiful colors all combined. I loved how it looked in the air!



The final ceremony detail I wanted to include is this one of a kind ring pillow my sweet Aunt Jenny made. You guys!!! She not only made the pillow, but also figured out how to embroider these lovely flowers with ribbon to emulate the pins I had sent her. I absolutely love it! And I know she worked so hard to make it look this beautiful. 

--The Reception--

Our reception was at an indoor/outdoor venue called Slattery Vintage Estates in rural Cass County, Nebraska. We had a small building for the food, cake, and some guests. Then we seated people outside on the patio, in a tent we rented, and the wedding party sat in the gazebo! It was all so lovely (and freezing cold!!). The tent we rented came with a heater, we also had patio heaters, a fire place, and the indoor space for people to warm up! And of course lots of blankets!

I sewed all of the paper garland! It took a lot of time and effort, but I loved how this added a pop of whimsy and color to the inside of the tent and the gazebo.  



Our head table was one of my favorite spaces. Here it's seen before we put our bouquets in those amazing DIY stick vases that Josh's aunt made! I absolutely loved the backdrop, the ampersand between Josh and me, and of course the greenery and vases! So beautiful!


The cake table was another area that I loved. There are two details I want to point out: 1) we placed a vintage frame flat on the surface of the table and set the cake in the middle. I love how it frames in the cake without adding a lot of business. 2) We put family wedding pictures up on the mantel (pictures of our parents and all four sets of grandparents). I loved how this made it feel like home, and was a sweet tribute to the legacy of love we have before us. There's something about family pictures sitting on a fireplace mantle. 



Our table settings have a couple of details that make them so special. Each place setting had a hand drawn placemat made by my Aunt Jan out of kraft paper. It's neutral, inexpensive, and adds so much to the place setting. Our favors were a packet of wild flower seeds on which I wrote "Let Love Grow." It was so enjoyable to get pictures throughout the summer of family and friends who planted the seeds and the flowers they produced! 





The centerpieces were the perfect blend of rustic, vintage, and feminine. This is how we constructed them: 
1. a slice of wood (my husband and I literally cut down a tree and sliced it up!)
2. a vintage doily (I have collected these throughout the years--I usually find them at antique stores, but garage sales and thrift stores are great places to look, too!)
3. a small votive candle (found on Amazon)
4. a vintage mason jar filled with peonies and eucalyptus
These antique, silver place cards held our "Reserved" signs. I borrowed these from a dear friend who just happens to own the most beautiful collection of antiques I have seen. She has a little bit of everything!






Those wood slices!! We loved being able to give these to family--now they fill our houses! 


The cake! It was perfect and delicious! My friend Michelle made this cake for us and simply put a couple of pale pink peonies on each layer. And of course that vintage frame is perfection! 



When Michelle and I met to talk about the cake, she came prepared with this beautiful set up! How sweet!



My mom, my sister, and I worked our little fingers off making cream cheese mints for the reception. We flavored them with almond extract! Theeee best! I loved the soft pink and green color we used and the timelessness of having these treats at our reception. 



The beauty truly is in the details. I tried to think of everything I could to help make our day memorable. As you're thinking and planning a special day, keep in mind the details--what do you want your guests to see, hear, taste, even smell (we had my favorite candle burning at the reception and at the church)? All of these things come together to create a special and memorable event. Here are some questions and thoughts to keep in mind during your planning:

-How can I make my wedding timeless?
-What can I add to a wedding tradition to make it reflect my family and upbringing?
-What do I want my wedding to feel like? (cozy, classic, traditional, laid back?)
-What can I add to my wedding that will make it unique to me?
-At weddings I have attended, what details stood out to me?
-What do I want my guests to remember most?
-How can I include friends and family during the planning process? How can I showcase their talents and abilities?

Happy planning!
grace & peace
Mairin









Comments

Popular Posts