How to Make a Farmhouse Porch Sign


My philosophy has always been, "Why spend money on something that I can make myself?!" It's a gift and a curse because I never end up buying anything at handmade/craft shows! I knew I wanted to make some kind of sign for our front step that could transition between seasons. I didn't want cutesy letters, weird colors, and I wanted it to look a little aged. So...I pinned some inspiration pictures, then got started! Below are the steps I took to make this sign!  

Supplies:
-Board (mine is 12" by about 6')
-Background color (I just used white Dutch Boy paint that I had left over from something) 
-Letter color (I used black chalk paint)
-Brushes (2" brush, and small detail brush for letters)
-Measuring Tape
-Pencil
-Stencils of letters
-Level
-120 grit sand paper
-Antiquing wax or dark stain
-Rags
-Finishing spray


Process: 

Step 1: After prepping my board by cutting it down to size and sanding it, I applied two or more coats of the background color and let it dry completely.



                                                     
Step 2: Next, I used stencils (or you could do freehand, I chose to use a stencil so I would have nice, sharp block letters) for my letters. I laid them out for a rough idea of how they would fit. For this sign, I made sure I had enough room at the top for the wreath. I just laid the wreath down on the top of the sign, then laid the letters below that!

Step 3: Now it's measuring time! First, I marked center all the way down the board. I then measured the width of each letter and made sure the center of the letter lined up with the center of the board. 

Step 4: Next, I made sure my letters were level by drawing a pencil line along the bottom of each letter and holding a level up to it.

Step 5: I traced the letters with a pencil. I taped my letters down so they didn't move around on me.



Step 6: Using a small paint brush, I filled in the letters with black paint, and let it dry completely.

Step 7: Next, I roughed up all the edges with sand paper and applied antique wax to make it look aged. I did this by dipping a rag into the wax, then wiping it off with a different, lightly damp rag. You can kind of see the aged look on the edges and corners in the picture below. 


Step 8: Since this is going outside, I sprayed a nice, heavy coat of sealer on it! 

Step 9: Finally, I embellished with a wreath! You can attach the wreath in a couple different ways. I just drove a nail dead center into the top of the board (on the back side) and hung the wreath on it from a piece of twine. You could also hang a command hook upside down on the back side at the very top, then with a ribbon or string, loop the wreath through the hook!




And there you have it! A fun Welcome Sign for your front door! Now I can't wait to get my flowers planted!! I have plans to do a Christmas sign on the other side, so I can flip it around for the winter! 




This project was so easy, and you don't have to be a hand letterer to do it! I would absolutely LOVE to know if you try this sign! Let me know here on the blog, tag me on Instagram or Facebook, or use my hashtag #graceandpeaceblog! Happy Crafting!

grace and peace
Mairin




Comments

Popular Posts