How to Make a Barn Quilt



I made a barn quilt for our back patio last fall, and since I shared pictures of it in my last Home Sweet Home post, I thought I'd show you how I made it!

It was a pretty simple project--the hardest parts were choosing the colors and making sure my paint colors didn't bleed! 

Here's what you will need:
-Wood (I used a 2'x2' piece of ply wood)
-Primer
-Paint colors of your choice (at least 3 colors, I'd say)
-Brush
-Tape measure
-Painters tape
-Pencil
-Sealer (I used a spray poly with a matte finish) 
* Optional: Small pieces of 1"x 2" if you'd like to frame it


Step 1--Prime your board. I did two coats of primer and then one coat of white furniture paint for a nice solid background



Step 2--Select your quilt block! I chose a block called "Father's Choice"

Step 3--Divide your board into a 5x5 grid. Dimensions of this grid will depend on the size of your board. I did a 5x5 grid because that's what I needed for the quilt block pattern I chose. I penciled out a grid, and then I just used a ruler to draw the diagonal lines I needed to make the pattern. 

Step 4-- Tape off your first color. To help me remember which colors I was going to put where, I wrote them in pencil in each spot. You could also plan it out on paper first. 

Step 5--Paint color one! I did three coats of each color using acrylic paint. 


Step 6--let each color dry completely before peeling off the tape and taping off the next color

Step 7--keep painting each color until you're finished!



Step 8--I went in with a small paint brush and touched up any spots that bled through the tape. I was left with nice, clean lines



Step 9--This is totally optional, but you can make a frame to around your barn quilt so it looks nice and finished! 

Step 10--If your barn quilt is going to hang outside, make sure you seal it with something so it doesn't fade or peel! I used a matte finishing spray. I have reapplied the spray one time since I made it! 



I would just absolutely LOVE to hear if any of you try this project! It was a stretch for me, math-wise, but the outcome was so worth it! Here's the finished product hanging up! 


grace & peace
Mairin 

Follow along on Instagram @graceandpeacelettering 


Comments

  1. Love it! What primer/paints did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Killz primer and the paint was Dutch Boy and acrylic craft paint depending on the color--any primer/paint will be great!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts