5 Tips for Styling a Bookcase


My grandpa is a master carpenter and made all of his kids and grandkids one of these bookcases. It's fashioned after one my grandma has in her house, and I love that we all have these in our homes.

I recently repainted my bookcase, and the new color made me overhaul the decor on the shelves! I tried to be thoughtful and intentional about what I put on each shelf, thinking about why I chose that item and how the big picture looked. So here are some helpful tips I gathered while doing this little project!

1. Pick a palette
Just like you would for an outfit or decorating a room, choose a color palette first. I repainted the bookcase (from two-toned green to white) because it was way too colorful! So my toned down color palette is:
Neutral--whites, creams, and browns
Green--dark, light, doesn't matter, I love green. :)
Now, I don't ONLY have items that are these colors on my shelves...but if you look at the bookcase in a big picture sort of way, you get the idea!


                     

2. Use more than books
Even though it's a BOOKcase, adding items that are not books helps the bookcase feel less cluttered and more "decorated." Here are some things to consider when you're placing items:
-Try to anchor a couple of shelves with items first, then fill in with books after that.
-Place items in a zig zag pattern from shelf to shelf (this doesn't have to be too strict) so that your items are not all right on top of each other.
-Don't fill all the shelves from wall to wall--sometimes empty space allows the items to make more of a statement. It also makes things look less cluttered.
-Play with height. You don't want every shelf to have a straight line of items. Bounce the line up and down with items of varied height.


3. Add texture for interest
Adding things that are textured makes your bookcase come to life. It makes it more pleasing and interesting to look at. Here are some ideas for texture:
-Plants and greenery
-Wood frames
-Wood "risers" (like the wood slice you see on my shelf)
-Metal trays
-Baskets
-Pottery
-Natural elements (like rocks, driftwood, sea glass, shells, even coins)
-Turn those books around! I love the neutral look of just the book pages. And with vintage books, you get a lot of varied shades of cream! I love it! But you don't have to turn all of them. Keep the spines facing out on your favorite titles, vintage books, or spines that go with your palette.




4. Select pieces that tell a story
Yes, you want to choose things for your shelves because they look good, but you also want pieces that are sentimental, vintage, or unique. Here are some ideas:
-On one of my shelves, I've placed our unity candle next to one of our engagement pictures--super sentimental to us, and a great reminder that we are pulling together!
-On another shelf, I have a rock that we picked up in Colorado on our honeymoon! I love the natural element it brings, but also the memories.
-Vintage items are GREAT! I have a lot of vintage books, a vintage bean pot, a vintage mason jar full of coins--all vintage items tell a story! You could add in vintage office supplies, signs, vases, planters, books, you name it!



5. Layer and Stack
My final tip is to not line everything up on your shelves. Add in layers, turn books on their sides, stack things! Here are some ideas:
-Use a vintage mirror as a backdrop for one of your shelves--it also reflects light, making your space look larger! You could also add a small lamp on one of the shelves, or use Nesting With Grace's Magic Light Trick! (I so want to try this on my shelves!)
-Place books horizontally and use them as "risers." This adds height and the change in direction of the books adds interest. 
-Use items that are a similar color to your bookcase as "backdrops" to add interest and texture. They blend in to the background enough that it doesn't make things look cluttered. For example, on the bottom shelf on my bookcase, I placed a wooden ampersand behind a glass jar. Because it is chippy white, it doesn't make the shelf look cluttered, but it still adds a little something!
-Place an item on top of a stack of books--it almost acts as a sort of "paper weight" and finishes the stack.

Here are some links to items I have on my shelf! Some of them aren't the exact piece, but I'll link similar options!

Bird cage bookends
Metal Tray
Planter
Ikea Plants
Small Wreath Around Candle
Vintage Books (although, I always find old books way cheaper at thrift and antique stores!)
Ampersand
Barn Wood Picture Frame

I hope these tips are helpful! I'd love to see pictures of shelves you style if you try any of these tips! Send them my way in a Facebook message (Grace & Peace Hand Lettering) or a DM on Instagram (@graceandpeacelettering)

As with anything in your home, shelves of a bookcase have the potential to add coziness and style, but also tell your story and reflect your personality. Make them your own. Your home should be the place where you can retreat and relax.

Happy decorating!

grace & peace
Mairin 

Comments

Popular Posts