Meal Planning--Step 2: The Menu


Welcome back to the Monthly Meal planning series! If you missed the first two parts, find them here!


So now that I have gathered all of our favorite recipes into one spot, I have to decide what we want to have for supper...for an entire month! Making the menu, I think, can be the most challenging aspect of meal planning. This is why Step 1 is so important.

The first thing I do when creating the menu for the month is to sit down with a calendar and take note of any important dates. Birthdays, gatherings, and even events at work all need to be considered when making the menu. 

The next thing I do is look at the menu I made the previous month, so I don't repeat meals too often. I keep my menu on a Google doc so that I can easily go back and see what meals we had. Then, while looking at my recipe list, I begin to plan out meals. I start with any special occasions, then I just begin choosing! I also like to keep in mind the season, and what fruits and vegetables are in season--as well as the weather. It all comes together to make the menu! *Don't forget to think about side dishes and desserts as well! 

Because I'm cooking for just two people, I do not plan a meal for every single night. I usually do every other, that way we can eat leftovers on the "off nights." I end up planning about 14 meals total, and I always have ingredients on hand to make other meals if we need them. 



I like to print off my list of meals, cut it out, and clip it to the fridge (see below). I refer to this quite often throughout the month.





Another lifesaver has been my Heart of the Farm planner. This monthly planner has pages for weekly meal plans. This is where I decide which meals go where during the month! And their planners are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! They are filled with amazing photography and inspirational quotes and Bible verses. Check out their website here!

Once I have my list of meals, side dishes, and desserts, I'm ready to make my grocery list! That's Step 3!

As always I would absolutely LOVE to hear from you! Let me know if you try any of this out and how it's going! Comment here on the blog or tag my on Instagram (graceandpeacelettering) or Facebook (Grace & Peace Hand Lettering). You can also use my hashtag #graceandpeaceblog on Instagram! I'd love to hear from you!

Happy planning!
grace & peace
Mairin

Comments

Popular Posts