Breeze Valley Garden--Install

"To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow," --Audrey Hepburn

Josh and I were SO excited to be able to put in a garden this summer! We live in a small town apartment (soon to be duplex!!) and don't have a place for one, so Josh's parents generously offered for us to use a small patch of their acreage. We were able to put it in this weekend, and I just can't wait to watch it grow!

I'm looking forward to canning tomatoes, making salsa, marinara sauce, freezing peppers, onions, beans, peas, and zucchini! It's going to be a lot of work and a learning process, but I'm so excited for my summer project!

Before: here's the patch of land we used. We staked out the area, and then we were set!


The first thing we did was shave the grass down as close as we could.

Then Josh tilled and I raked out clods--we did this about three times.

After all the tilling and raking, Josh spread some fertilizer and then he tilled one more time.


 I had to wear my "No Farmers, No Food" shirt!

We left to get our seeds and to visit my sweet family, and when we came back all the rest of the clods were nice and dry--so I raked again! My arms are sore today!

 Then it was time to plant and add the fence to keep out rabbits!



After we planted, we covered the tomatoes and peppers with milk jugs to protect them from the wind (I'll take them off when the plants start to poke through the top), I added cages around the tomatoes, I gave each plant a heavy soaking while the guys put up the chicken wire fence, and then we ran the sprinkler for a couple of hours!

Here's what we planted:
-10 tomato plants
-7 green pepper plants
-3 serrano pepper plants
-1 row of onions
-2 cucumber hills
-2 zucchini hills
-1 row of lettuce and spinach
-1 row of green beans
-1 row of sugar snap peas
-garlic

My next garden project (besides weeding, of course) will be to make some row markers, and I'll be sure to post about those!

We learned SO much yesterday, we are super sore today, but we are SO EXCITED! I can't wait to keep you all posted on the progress!

grace & peace
Mairin

Comments

Popular Posts